Spring..glazed citrus & ricotta loaf cake with rum sugar-dipped strawberries

I had another dessert planned for this week but it was such a beautiful spring week of which I spent quite a bit of time on my back staring out of the windows at the clouds (back problems not a bout of extreme laziness) and this cake popped into my head as I thought about not just saying enjoying the moment but actually doing so. 

When I think of enjoying spring I think of spending longer than five minutes in my garden, having a slice of cake with a hot cup of joe in one my many beautiful yet unused coffee cups.. That thought brought me joy so of course I switched out the schedule to accommodate a little extra joy. It's what life is about, no?
This is my idea of an old-school loaf cake because I’m old enough to say old-school and still young enough to do so with a bit of cheek. And since I’m all about the cheek I went for lime as well as lemons, taking this traditional Italian ricotta cake  on a little Caribbean trip.

I had a punnet of strawberries I bought for Mika (his fave fruit so expect more with this summer berry) and forgot about. There were perfectly ripe and juicy and heady for some heat.. dipped in molten sugar after a rum steam and soak because it doesn't get more island flavour than limes and rum and I am at heart still and island girl. So throw away the syrup, nope reduce that to a gorgeous pink syrup for more intense flavour in each bite. 

This cake is rich and dense from the low flour amount of which half almond meal, the lime juice and the egg whites folded in at the end. Baked long and slow and then while still hot drizzled with a lime glaze. After two slices (yes, guilty) I could barely manage to finish my dinner in front of the kids despite eating late. But OMG so worth it! Here's to rum, limes and Monday leftovers..if I find self-control!

citrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberries

citrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberries
citrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberriescitrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberriescitrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberriescitrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberriescitrus ricotta loaf cake with rum & sugar dipped strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment..

Pinterest

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.